It takes a little time, but the best way to get more affordable Volvo XC70 insurance is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurers in San Francisco.
- Read about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that drive up the price such as high-risk driving behaviors and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Later in this article we will cover more information to help reduce prices and find possible discounts that are available.
- Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available in San Francisco. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
The most important part of this process is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this guarantees a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
Regrettably, the vast majority of car insurance customers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and almost half have never compared quotes from other companies. Many drivers in California could save as much as 35% a year, but most tend to underestimate how much they could save if they replace their high priced policy.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is not rocket science. You just have to take a couple of minutes to compare rates online from several insurance companies.
The following companies provide price comparisons in San Francisco, CA. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Check for these discounts
Some providers don’t always advertise all possible discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you can inquire about if you buy San Francisco auto insurance online.
- Theft Deterrent System – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices prevent vehicle theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Taking time to complete a course that instructs on driving safety may get you a small discount if you qualify.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims are rewarded with significantly better rates on San Francisco auto insurance quote when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles may allow you to get cheaper prices.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your car insurance provider.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military may lower your prices slightly.
Policy discounts save money, but many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it’s just not the way it works. But any discount should definitely cut your overall premium however.
The chart below shows the comparison of Volvo XC70 insurance premiums with and without policy discounts. The rate quotes are based on a male driver, no violations or accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-car discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and a selection of discounts include:
- State Farm discounts include multiple policy, passive restraint, anti-theft, multiple autos, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Progressive may have discounts that include good student, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- Progressive includes discounts for continuous coverage, online signing, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife has discounts for good driver, claim-free, multi-policy, accident-free, good student, defensive driver
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for safe driver, renewal discount, good student, 55 and retired, and youthful driver.
- GEICO offers discounts for five-year accident-free, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, driver training, and good student.
- SAFECO has savings for bundle discounts, accident prevention training, teen safety rewards, teen safe driver, drive less, and homeowner.
When comparing rates, check with each company which credits you are entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not be offered in your state. To see insurance companies with discount rates in San Francisco, click here.
Insurance coverage analysis
The price information displayed next covers different insurance premium costs for Volvo XC70 models. Having a good grasp of how rate quotes are figured can help drivers make smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|XC70 3.2 AWD Station Wagon||$266||$426||$500||$30||$150||$1,372||$114|
|XC70 T6 AWD 4-Dr||$266||$490||$500||$30||$150||$1,436||$120|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Premium costs do not factor in zip code location which can decrease or increase premiums greatly.
What Determines Volvo XC70 Insurance Prices?
Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but other criteria are more obscure such as your credit history or your commute time.
The items below are just a few of the factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rate level.
Credit rating impacts premium premiums – An insured’s credit score will be a significant factor in determining what you pay. Consumers who have very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower ratings. If your credit rating is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your Volvo XC70 if you clean up your credit.
Proper usage rating affects premiums – The higher the miles on your Volvo in a year the higher your rates will be. The majority of insurers charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. An improperly rated XC70 is just wasting money. Verify your vehicle rating correctly shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
Liability – The liability coverage on your policy is the coverage that protects you when you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
Male costs may be higher – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Men and women are in at-fault accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are the most expensive to insure so they pay the highest premiums.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Volvo XC70 insurance prices for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no claims, a clean driving record, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Save by staying claim free – If you frequently file small claims, you can expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Auto insurance companies in California give the lowest premiums to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
Having a spouse brings a discount – Walking down the aisle helps lower the price on auto insurance. Marriage demonstrates that you tend to be more responsible and statistics show married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Better drivers pay the best premiums – Only having one moving violation can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better prices than bad drivers. Drivers with severe violations like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding are required to prove financial responsibility with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
The chart below illustrates how violations and accident claims can drive up Volvo XC70 insurance prices for each age group. The rates are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Volvo XC70 claim data – Car insurance companies use claims history when they file their rates in each state. Vehicles that the statistics show to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will be charged more to insure. The table below outlines the actual insurance loss data for Volvo XC70 vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is set at 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 indicate better than average losses, while percentage values above 100 indicate more frequent losses or statistically larger claims.
|Specific Volvo Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Volvo XC70 Station Wagon 2WD||69|
|Volvo XC70 Station Wagon 4WD||79||70||94||45|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
When to get advice from an insurance agency
Many drivers still like to sit down and talk to an agent and that is a smart decision Professional agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. A good thing about getting online price quotes is you may find the lowest rates but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this simple form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to companies in San Francisco who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. In the event you want to compare rates from one company in particular, you just need to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an provider needs to be determined by more than just the price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in San Francisco?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
Different types of auto insurance agents in San Francisco
When looking for a good insurance agency, there are two different agency structures and how they operate. Agencies in San Francisco are either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both provide insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel normally can only provide a single company’s rates like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are trained well on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers sometimes buy from the same agent for years mostly because of the prominent brand name rather than low price.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in San Francisco that can give you price quote information.
- Joshin Bruguera – State Farm Insurance Agent
399 Cortland Ave – San Francisco, CA 94110 – (415) 821-3600 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Myrna De Vera
2121 19th Ave Ste 102 – San Francisco, CA 94116 – (415) 566-9400 – View Map
- Traci Hollander – State Farm Insurance Agent
1501 Church St – San Francisco, CA 94131 – (415) 647-3007 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing rate quotes, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Most also write with smaller regional carriers which could offer lower prices.
Listed below are San Francisco independent insurance agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Basic West Insurance Agency
1641 Taraval St – San Francisco, CA 94116 – (415) 665-7400 – View Map
- Milber Health Insurance Agent
1492 11th Ave – San Francisco, CA 94122 – (415) 564-8829 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Nathan Douglas Gleason Agency
101 California St #2710 – San Francisco, CA 94111 – (415) 870-6999 – View Map
Compare but don’t skimp
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to find out that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price.
We’ve covered a lot of ways to save on Volvo XC70 insurance in San Francisco. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive San Francisco auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest premium rates come from a small local company.
Consumers leave their current company for many reasons like delays in responding to claim requests, delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices or even high prices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is actually quite simple.
For more information, feel free to browse the resources below:
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable San Francisco Auto Insurance Quotes for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much is San Francisco Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance Rates for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Pilot in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)