Sad but true, almost 70% of insureds renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and just under half have never compared rates with other companies. With the average car insurance premium being $1,387, California drivers could pocket nearly 35% a year just by comparing rates, but most just don’t grasp how much money they would save if they just switched companies.
Truthfully, the best way to get the cheapest Cadillac XLR insurance in San Francisco is to do a yearly price comparison from companies that sell auto insurance in California.
- First, try to comprehend how insurance works and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that increase rates such as accidents, traffic tickets, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Second, compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates for many different companies.
- Third, compare the price quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save some money and switch companies, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application for your new policy. Immediately store the proof of insurance certificate in an accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is to try to use identical limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get price estimates from as many different companies as possible. Doing this enables a fair price comparison and the best rate selection.
Affordable companies for Cadillac XLR insurance
The companies shown below offer price quotes in San Francisco, CA. If the list has multiple companies, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Cheaper rates with these price cutting discounts
Some insurance providers don’t always list every possible discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down some of the more common as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you could save up to 20% and get you low cost Cadillac XLR insurance.
- Mature Driver Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for lower premium rates.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accident claims.
- No Claim Discounts – Claim-free drivers get the best auto insurance rates in comparison to drivers with a long claim history.
- Distant College Student Discount – Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from San Francisco and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Own a Home and Save – Just being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
Policy discounts save money, but most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So even though you would think you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for safe vehicle, defensive driving training, student away at school, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and accident-free.
- GEICO has savings for anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, driver training, daytime running lights, membership and employees, and multi-policy.
- Progressive discounts include multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including teen driver, anti-lock brakes, good student, driver training, 55 and older, air bags, and homeowners.
- American Family may offer discounts for mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, good driver, and bundled insurance.
- The Hartford includes discounts for vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, anti-theft, air bag, good student, and driver training.
- AAA may have discounts that include multi-car, anti-theft, education and occupation, pay-in-full, good student, good driver, and multi-policy.
When comparing rates, check with each company or agent how many discounts you can get. Some credits may not be available in San Francisco. If you would like to view providers with the best Cadillac XLR insurance discounts in San Francisco, click this link.
Informed Consumers Save Every Year
Many things are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but some are more transparent like where you live or your vehicle rating. It’s important that you understand the rating factors that aid in calculating auto insurance rates. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to lower premium levels.
- Good credit scores equal low rates – An insured’s credit rating can be an important factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Drivers who have excellent credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have bad credit. So if your credit history could use some work, you may save money insuring your Cadillac XLR by improving your credit score.
- Lower auto insurance rates with alarms and GPS tracking – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Some auto insurance companies afford lower prices to people who have multiple policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can amount to ten or even fifteen percent. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s always a smart idea to get quotes from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Insurance is expensive for teenage drivers – Drivers with little experience are statistically proven to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher. Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and receive fewer citations.
Getting quotes from local San Francisco insurance agencies
Many people still prefer to buy from a licensed agent and we recommend doing that Most agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower prices and still have an agent to talk to. Putting coverage with neighborhood agents is definitely important in San Francisco.
By using this form (opens in new window), your information gets sent to local insurance agents in San Francisco who will give competitive quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered to you. If for some reason you want to quote rates for a specific company, just visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Multiple types of auto insurance agents in San Francisco
If you want to buy insurance from a local insurance agency, you need to know there are two types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Insurance agents can be described as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both insure your vehicles, but it is a good idea to know the difference in how they write coverage since it can impact the type of agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by any specific company so they can write business through many companies and find the cheapest rate. If your premiums go up, your agent can switch companies which makes it simple for you.
When comparing rates, you should always get several quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Featured below are independent agencies in San Francisco who may be able to give you price quote information.
Nationwide Insurance: Nathan Douglas Gleason Agency
101 California St #2710 – San Francisco, CA 94111 – (415) 870-6999 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive write business for a single company such as Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in San Francisco who can help you get comparison quotes.
Finding the right insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
If you feel you receive good answers to any questions you may have as well as a affordable price, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agency that is professional and can provide insurance coverage.
Smart shoppers get results
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where an insured dropped liability coverage limits only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
More affordable auto insurance in San Francisco can be bought on the web in addition to many San Francisco insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer online rate quotes and these small insurance companies only sell through independent agents.
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a GMC Acadia in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Subaru Impreza in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Francisco Car Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Francisco Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Immigrants in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Honda CR-V in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Credit Impacts Car Insurance Rates (State Farm)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)