We don’t have to point out that fact that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. People who get price comparisons are highly likely to buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. A recent survey found that drivers who regularly shopped around saved about $860 a year compared to drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If saving money on auto insurance in San Francisco is your target objective, then having some knowledge of the best way to compare insurance can help make the process easier.
To save the most money, the best way to find cheaper car insurance rates in San Francisco is to do a yearly price comparison from providers who provide car insurance in California. Rates can be compared by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Try to understand how companies set rates and the modifications you can make to keep rates in check. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and bad credit can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives ideas to help keep rates affordable and earn a bigger discount.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if cheaper 2 coverage is available. If you can save money and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current policy. Submit a down payment along with a completed application to the new insurer. Make sure you put the proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle.
A key point to remember is to compare the same deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to get rates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete rate analysis.
This article’s goal is to tell you the best way to quote coverages and also pocket some savings If you have a policy now, you should be able to get lower rates using the ideas presented in this article. Nevertheless, California consumers benefit from understanding the methods companies use to determine premium rates and apply this information to your search.
Most major insurance companies provide prices for coverage on their websites. Doing online price comparisons for Mazda 2 insurance in San Francisco is quite easy as all you need to do is type in your coverage preferences on the page. Behind the scenes, the system requests your driving and credit reports and returns a price based on the data you entered.
This streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s also necessary to get many rate quotes in order to get the best auto insurance rates.
To find out if lower rates are available, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you duplicate the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will be getting comparison quotes based on similar coverages.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer free quotes in San Francisco, CA. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can in order to find the cheapest rates.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Mazda 2 in San Francisco, maintaining insurance is required in California but it also protects you in many ways.
First, just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability protection in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your Mazda 2, most banks will force you to have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Mazda at a much higher rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, car insurance protects both your Mazda 2 and your assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your car outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in San Francisco is currently overpaying as much as $855 a year so compare rates at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Companies offer money-saving discounts on Mazda 2 insurance in San Francisco
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but you might already qualify for some discounts that you may not know about. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but some discounts are required to be inquired about before you get the savings.
- 55 and Retired – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get lower premium rates.
- Save with a New Car – Buying car insurance coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less since newer vehicles are generally safer.
- ABS Brakes – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can stop better under adverse conditions so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Active Military Service – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Cautious Drivers – Insureds without accidents could pay up to 40% less than less cautious drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO will allow you to have one accident without getting socked with a rate hike with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay less when compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Good Student – Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
You can save money using discounts, but some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky. But all discounts should help lower the amount you pay for coverage.
Larger car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are:
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including teen driver, alternative fuel, homeowner, good student, bundle discounts, and electronic funds transfer.
- Esurance has savings for homeowner, claim free, multi-policy, DriveSense, and anti-theft.
- State Farm has discounts for driver’s education, safe vehicle, multiple policy, anti-theft, good driver, and multiple autos.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for good student, emergency military deployment, anti-lock brakes, driver training, military active duty, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- Allstate discounts include premier plus, early signing, new car, eSmart discount, good student, and FullPay discount.
When comparing rates, check with each company which discounts you qualify for. All car insurance discounts may not apply in every state.
When to talk to an insurance agency
Many drivers would prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision A good thing about comparing rates online is that you can find cheap car insurance rates and still buy from a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is important particularly in San Francisco.
After filling out this short form, the quote information is transmitted to companies in San Francisco that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. It’s the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Two types of San Francisco car insurance agents
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a local San Francisco insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents and how they are slightly different. Car insurance agents are considered either exclusive or independent.
Independent Car Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers so as a result can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies and the insured can keep the same agent. If you need lower rates, we recommend you include independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Many can place coverage with less well-known companies that many times have cheaper rates.
The following are independent insurance agencies in San Francisco that may be able to give you rate quotes.
- Scarborough Insurance Agency
329 Bryant St – San Francisco, CA 94107 – (415) 371-1398 – View Map
- United General Insurance Agency
3150 California St Ste 4A – San Francisco, CA 94115 – (415) 922-7283 – View Map
- CAL Insurance and Associates
2311 Taraval St – San Francisco, CA 94116 – (415) 661-6500 – View Map
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They are unable to place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. These agents are highly trained on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. A lot of people buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand legacy rather than low price.
Below are San Francisco exclusive agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
- State Farm: Michael Woo
2166 Market St – San Francisco, CA 94114 – (415) 565-6777 – View Map
- Jerry Verdi – State Farm Insurance Agent
408 Columbus Ave #2 – San Francisco, CA 94133 – (415) 788-7881 – View Map
- Angela Chan – State Farm Insurance Agent
756 Sacramento St – San Francisco, CA 94108 – (415) 956-4888 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a low price. These questions are important to ask:
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- How many companies do they write for?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in San Francisco?
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to choosing your policy for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation could use an agent’s help.
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- How high should deductibles be on a Mazda 2?
- Am I insured when driving a different vehicle?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- What is medical payments coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Quote more to save more
You just read many ideas to find lower-cost Mazda 2 insurance in San Francisco. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Mazda 2 insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest premium rates are with some of the lesser-known companies.
A few companies do not provide price quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies. Budget-friendly auto insurance in San Francisco is attainable both online in addition to many San Francisco insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection.
People change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including delays in paying claims, lack of trust in their agent, extreme rates for teen drivers or even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Additional auto insurance information is located below:
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for College Students in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)