Remarkably, a study showed that 70% of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even compared rates from other companies. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year, but most undervalue how much they could save if they switched.
The best way we recommend to get low-cost Kia Sorento insurance in San Francisco is to start comparing rates regularly from insurers who provide car insurance in California. Rates can be compared by following these guidelines.
First, try to understand how auto insurance works and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many factors that increase rates like at-fault accidents and a less-than-favorable credit score can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. This article provides instructions to help prevent expensive coverage and find overlooked discounts.
Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
Third, compare the price quotes to your existing policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in San Francisco. If you can save money and make a switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, provide adequate notice to your current company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit the application along with any required down payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you receive it, safely store the certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
One thing to point out is to try to compare similar coverage information on every quote and to quote with as many auto insurance providers as possible. This enables a fair rate comparison and a thorough price selection.
When looking for cheaper San Francisco auto insurance quotes, there are a couple ways to compare prices from local San Francisco insurance companies. By far the easiest way to do a complete rate comparison involves getting comparison quotes online.
Getting quotes online is very simple and it makes it a waste of time to waste gas driving to all the different San Francisco insurance agencies. Doing it all online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you require the professional advice that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Although, it is possible comparison shop online but have a local agent actually write the policy. When comparison shopping, obtaining a wide range of quotes will improve the odds of getting lower pricing.
The companies in the list below provide quotes in San Francisco, CA. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but there are discounts available that many consumers don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but some need to be inquired about before being credited.
- Multiple Cars – Purchasing coverage when you have all your vehicles on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Early Switch Discount – A few larger companies offer discounts for switching companies prior to the expiration date on your current Sorento insurance policy. It could save around 10% when you buy San Francisco auto insurance online.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Good Student – Maintaining excellent grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen with less frequency and will save you 10% or more on Sorento insurance in San Francisco.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Insuring a new Sorento is cheaper because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Telematics Data – Drivers who elect to allow their auto insurance company to monitor their driving habits by using a telematic data system such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system could possibly reduce rates if they are good drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not a discount per se, but some companies like Liberty Mutual, GEICO and Allstate may permit one accident without the usual rate increase if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driving skills may get you a small discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
To see a list of insurance companies who offer cheap Kia Sorento insurance quotes in San Francisco in San Francisco, click here to view.
Get Kia Sorento Insurance for Less
Many different elements are part of the equation when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more transparent like where you live or your commute time.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine your rates.
Safer cars mean better premiums – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have lower insurance rates. These vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
Eliminate unneeded incidental coverages – There are a ton of optional add-on coverages that can add up if you aren’t careful. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea when deciding what coverages you need, but now you might not need them so consider taking them off your policy.
Insurance rates in urban areas – Choosing to live in less populated areas may provide you with better prices when insuring your vehicles. People who live in big cities regularly have more traffic problems and higher rates of accident claims. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims.
Drive lots and pay more – The higher the miles on your Kia in a year the more it will cost to insure it. Many insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting receive lower rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Sorento may be costing you. Ask your agent if your insurance policy states the correct usage, because it can save money.
Save money with high credit – Your credit score is likely to be a major factor in your rate calculation. People with high credit ratings tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with lower credit ratings. Therefore, if your credit history can be improved, you could potentially save money when insuring your Kia Sorento if you clean up your credit.
Get hitched and get cheaper costs – Getting married may earn you lower rates on your policy. Having a spouse translates into being more stable financially it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Kia Sorento claim data – Insurers include the past claim history for a vehicle to help determine rates. Models that the data determines to have high amounts or severity of claims will have higher premium rates. The data below shows the actual insurance loss data for Kia Sorento vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, as an average, is considered to be 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest losses that are better than average, while values that are 100 or greater indicate frequent claims or larger claims.
|Specific Kia Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Kia Sorento 4dr 2WD||80||86||82||110||111||94|
|Kia Sorento 4dr 4WD||85||87||101||97||98||85|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Buying auto insurance from San Francisco auto insurance agents
Many drivers just prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is OK! An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your information is submitted to local insurance agents in San Francisco who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. You can find lower rates and work with a local agent. If you have a need to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, just search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding a good provider shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- How long have they been in business?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
Independent or Exclusive: It’s your choice
If you want local San Francisco agents, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Auto insurance agents can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices and examples are Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so always compare other rates. These agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agents in San Francisco willing to provide price quote information.
Tiffany Won – State Farm Insurance Agent
1250 Missouri St Unit 305 – San Francisco, CA 94107 – (415) 872-5734 – View Map
Toan Tieu – State Farm Insurance Agent
690 Monterey Blvd – San Francisco, CA 94127 – (415) 610-8000 – View Map
Joe Freund – State Farm Insurance Agent
1734 Divisadero St – San Francisco, CA 94115 – (415) 359-9311 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents often have affiliation with several companies and that gives them the ability to insure with lots of companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you definitely need to check rates from at least one independent agent in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below are San Francisco independent agents that can give you price quote information.
Blum-Blackfield Insurance Agency
2 Twin Peaks Blvd – San Francisco, CA 94114 – (415) 665-1440 – View Map
Jessica Liu Insurance Services
3428 Balboa St – San Francisco, CA 94121 – (415) 386-2283 – View Map
Sam and Associates Insurance Agency
2225 Taraval St – San Francisco, CA 94116 – (415) 665-0181 – View Map
Insurance can get complicated
Always remember that when buying the best insurance coverage, there really is no one size fits all plan. Your needs are unique to you and your insurance should be unique as well.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- Should I buy only the required California minimum liability coverage?
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- How high should deductibles be on a Kia Sorento?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area.
Quote. Compare. Save.
When shopping online for insurance, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate.
Cheaper Kia Sorento insurance in San Francisco can be sourced both online and from local insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not provide internet price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through local independent agencies.
For more information, feel free to browse the resources below:
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Homeowners in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teachers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)