A recent auto insurance study revealed that almost 70% of drivers in California have remained with the same auto insurance company for more than four years, and almost half have never compared auto insurance rates at all. The average driver in the U.S. could save an average of nearly $859 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most just don’t grasp how much they could save if they switch to a new company.
The easiest way to find low-cost prices for auto insurance rates in San Francisco is to regularly compare price quotes from insurance carriers who sell insurance in California.
- First, gain an understanding of how insurance works and the changes you can make to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like traffic violations, accidents, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if cheaper Quest coverage is available in San Francisco. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, give notification to your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current coverage. Submit a completed application and payment for your new policy. Immediately upon receiving it, place your new certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
A crucial key to this process is to use identical deductibles and limits on every quote request and and to get rates from as many different companies as possible. This guarantees an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
This article will help you learn how to get online quotes and also pocket some savings If you have coverage now, you will definitely be able to lower your rates using the tips covered below. Nevertheless, California vehicle owners must learn the way insurance companies determine how much to charge because rates are impacted by many factors.
Cheap Nissan insurance prices in San Francisco
The companies shown below can provide free quotes in San Francisco, CA. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Discount San Francisco insurance rates
Insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but there could be available discounts to help offset the cost. Certain reductions will be credited at quote time, but a few must be asked about in order for you to get them.
- E-sign – A few larger online companies will provide an incentive for buying your policy online.
- Distant Student – Children who attend college more than 100 miles from San Francisco and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Larger insurance companies have a break if you buy life insurance from them.
As is typical with insurance, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Larger insurance companies and some of the discounts are included below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for safe vehicle, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, passive restraint, and driver’s education.
- GEICO discounts include multi-vehicle, membership and employees, anti-theft, federal employee, and air bags.
- SAFECO includes discounts for anti-theft, safe driver, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, teen safety rewards, bundle discounts, and multi-car.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for distant student, homeowner, teen driver, business and professional, and electronic funds transfer.
- AAA may offer discounts for AAA membership discount, good driver, pay-in-full, good student, and anti-theft.
- USAA policyholders can earn discounts including annual mileage, multi-vehicle, safe driver, good student, family discount, and driver training.
Before buying, ask every company the best way to save money. A few discounts might not be offered everywhere.
Compare rates but work with a local San Francisco insurance agent
Many people still like to have an agent’s advice and that can be a smart move One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you may find cheap auto insurance quotes and also buy local. Buying from local agencies is definitely important in San Francisco.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to participating agents in San Francisco who will give you quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You never need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent to you. You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you want to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
If you would like to find local San Francisco agents, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents and how they function. Agents in San Francisco are either exclusive agents or independent agents.
These type of agents are not locked into one company and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move your policy to a different company and that require little work on your part. When comparing auto insurance prices, you definitely need to contact multiple independent agents to get the best comparison. Most also write with mutual insurance companies that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Featured below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in San Francisco who may be able to give you free price quotes.
- Robert E. Kennedy Insurance Agency
Flood Building, 870 Market St #740 – San Francisco, CA 94102 – (415) 951-0738 – View Map
- Jessica Liu Insurance Services
3428 Balboa St – San Francisco, CA 94121 – (415) 386-2283 – View Map
- Sam and Associates Insurance Agency
2225 Taraval St – San Francisco, CA 94116 – (415) 665-0181 – View Map
View more San Francisco agents
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only place business with one company and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They are unable to compare rates from other companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are well trained on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Many people use the same agent partially due to the brand and solid financial strength.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agents in San Francisco that are able to give rate quotes.
- Kajal Pashmi – State Farm Insurance Agent
3138 Geary Blvd – San Francisco, CA 94118 – (415) 742-4459 – View Map
- Traci Hollander – State Farm Insurance Agent
1501 Church St – San Francisco, CA 94131 – (415) 647-3007 – View Map
- Angela Chan – State Farm Insurance Agent
756 Sacramento St – San Francisco, CA 94108 – (415) 956-4888 – View Map
View more San Francisco agents
Choosing the best insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- Can you contact them at any time?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- What companies can they write with?
- Does the company use OEM repair parts?
Specific coverage details
Understanding the coverages of your car insurance policy aids in choosing the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for immediate expenses such as dental work, ambulance fees and funeral costs. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers all vehicle occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Nissan Quest.
Since many California drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (which is 15/30/5), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is very important. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Comprehensive insurance pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like rock chips in glass, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from flooding. The highest amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property in an accident. This coverage protects you against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, $30,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use a combined limit which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability insurance covers claims like emergency aid, pain and suffering and loss of income. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but consider buying higher limits if possible. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The chart below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not be enough coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for things such as colliding with another moving vehicle, rolling your car, damaging your car on a curb, hitting a mailbox and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible on your Quest in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Quote more and you will save more
People change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, policy non-renewal, extreme rates for teen drivers or delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company is less work than it seems.
Some insurance companies may not have the ability to get quotes online and many times these smaller companies sell through independent agents. Lower-priced insurance in San Francisco is attainable online and with local San Francisco insurance agents, so you need to compare both to get a complete price analysis.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Even more information is located in the articles below:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much is San Francisco Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Francisco Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Camry? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Teenagers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Francisco Car Insurance Quotes for Unemployed Drivers? (FAQ)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)