Amazingly, a large majority of drivers have bought insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. With the average insurance premium being $1,400, California drivers could cut their rates by approximately 35% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t believe the large savings they would see if they switched to a more affordable policy.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find discount auto insurance rates is to compare prices regularly from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in San Francisco.
- First, try to understand coverages and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that increase rates like traffic citations and a less-than-favorable credit history can be controlled by being financially responsible and driving safely. Later in this article we will cover ideas to keep prices down and find additional discounts.
- Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save some money and change companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company of your intention to cancel the current policy. Submit payment and a signed application for the new policy. As soon as you receive it, keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to make sure you enter the same amount of coverage on every quote request and and to get price estimates from all possible companies. This guarantees a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
Affordable San Francisco car insurance rates with discounts
Some insurance providers don’t always publicize the complete list of policy discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below contains a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious savings tricks you should be using when you buy San Francisco auto insurance online.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you will save nearly 15% which can help you find cheaper 3 insurance.
- Good Students Pay Less – Being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Early Renewal Discounts – Select larger companies give a discount for switching to them before your current coverage expires. You could save around 10% when you buy San Francisco auto insurance online.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
- Drivers Education – Teen drivers should successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Onboard Data Collection – Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to track vehicle usage by installing a telematics device like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot could see a rate decrease if they are good drivers.
- Early Payment Discounts – If you can afford to pay the entire bill as opposed to paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Professional Memberships – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization in San Francisco could earn you a nice discount on your policy.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control are much safer to drive and will save you 10% or more on 3 insurance in San Francisco.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for slightly better prices than normal.
A quick disclaimer, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Despite the appearance that you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way.
The example below shows the comparison of Mazda 3 yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The rates are based on a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-car, marriage, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and a selection of discounts are:
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including Drive Safe & Save, good student, defensive driving training, student away at school, safe vehicle, and multiple autos.
- GEICO offers discounts for anti-lock brakes, driver training, military active duty, daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, air bags, and five-year accident-free.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for preferred payment discount, hybrid vehicle, new move discount, newly retired, multi-car, and newly married.
- The Hartford offers discounts including defensive driver, air bag, good student, driver training, anti-theft, and bundle.
- MetLife may have discounts that include multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free, defensive driver, good student, good driver
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-vehicle, online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, and good student.
When comparing rates, check with all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policies in every state. To find insurers who offer discounts in California, click this link.
The method we recommend to compare car insurance company rates for Mazda 3 insurance in San Francisco is to know almost all companies will pay a fee to compare rate quotes. All you need to do is give them rating details such as the year, make and model of vehicles, any included safety features, distance driven, and if you require a SR-22. That rating data is automatically sent to multiple companies and you will get price comparisons immediately.
To check rates for your Mazda 3 now, click here and complete the quick form.
The following companies offer price quotes in California. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Rate information and statistics
The rate table below highlights estimates of prices for Mazda 3 models. Having a better understanding of how rate quotes are formulated is important for you to make smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|3 I Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$326||$708||$500||$30||$150||$1,714||$143|
|3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$326||$708||$500||$30||$150||$1,714||$143|
|3 I Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$326||$834||$500||$30||$150||$1,840||$153|
|3 S Sport 4-Dr Hatchback||$370||$834||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$370||$834||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Hatchback||$370||$834||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$370||$834||$500||$30||$150||$1,884||$157|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Price estimates do not factor in specific location information which can lower or raise coverage prices noticeably.
Full coverage or liability only
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Mazda 3 insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The rate quotes are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no clear-cut rule for phasing out full coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Mazda 3 book value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $8,000 after you pay the deductible. If premiums are more than $800 annually for physical damage coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping physical damage coverage is not advised. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Smart Buyers Save on Insurance
Lots of factors are considered when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, although others are less apparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that are used to determine insurance rates. When you understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that could result in lower premium levels.
Use credit responsibly and save – Having a bad credit score is a large factor in your rate calculation. If your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your Mazda 3 by repairing your credit. Consumers who have very good credit scores tend to be better risks to insure than drivers with lower credit ratings.
Vehicle theft costs us all – Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Advanced theft deterrents like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help prevent your car from being stolen.
Driving citations drive up premiums – Your driving citation history influences premium rates substantially. Even one moving violation may cause rates to rise substantially. Careful drivers pay less for auto insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have received dangerous citations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
The illustration below shows how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions raise Mazda 3 insurance prices for different categories of driver ages. The premiums are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Too many insurance claims drive up insurance rates – Companies in California provide the best rates to drivers who are claim-free. If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance coverage is designed for more catastrophic claims.
Mazda 3 historical loss data – Insurers use claims history as a way to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Models that the data shows to have higher claim amounts or frequency will cost more to insure. The table shown below demonstrates the insurance loss data for Mazda 3 vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the loss probability for all vehicles compiled together is set at 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while values that are above 100 point to more claims or tendency to have higher losses.
|Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Mazda 3 Hatchback||91||80||96||81||73||86|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Tailor your insurance coverage to you
When choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Your situation is unique.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether your personal situation may require specific advice.
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- What does medical payments coverage do?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- Is my Mazda 3 covered for flood damage?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Compare rates but buy from a local neighborhood San Francisco car insurance agent
A lot of people prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is you can get cheap car insurance quotes and also buy local.
Once you complete this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents that can give you free San Francisco auto insurance quotes to get your business. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. You can get cheaper car insurance rates AND a local agent. If you need to quote rates from one company in particular, just go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
If you need to find a reliable insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Insurance agencies in San Francisco can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type work for only one company and some examples include State Farm or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on the products they sell which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some people will only purchase coverage from exclusives mainly due to loyalty to the company rather than having low rates.
Listed below are exclusive agents in San Francisco that are able to give price quotes.
- Rich Machado – State Farm Insurance Agent
5108 Geary Blvd – San Francisco, CA 94118 – (415) 292-3380 – View Map
- Jing Lee – State Farm Insurance Agent
4444 Geary Blvd #300 – San Francisco, CA 94118 – (415) 752-8888 – View Map
- Kiet Nguyen – State Farm Insurance Agent
4198 Mission St – San Francisco, CA 94112 – (415) 587-1880 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you want to switch companies, the agent simply finds a different carrier which makes it simple for you.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s recommended you include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. They often place coverage with less well-known companies who may have lower rates.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in San Francisco who can help you get price quotes.
- Riskguard Insurance Solutions
422 Presidio Ave – San Francisco, CA 94115 – (415) 447-4212 – View Map
- Al Zeidler Insurance Agency
1714 Stockton St #417 – San Francisco, CA 94133 – (415) 753-1936 – View Map
- Barulich Insurance Agency
San Francisco Pier 33 – Alcatraz Island #203 – San Francisco, CA 94111 – (415) 616-5911 – View Map
If you get acceptable answers to these questions and inexpensive Mazda 3 insurance in San Francisco quotes, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that is reliable enough to service your policy. Just be aware that you can always cancel a policy whenever you want so don’t think that you are permanently stuck with your new company for the full policy term.
Why you need to buy insurance
Even though San Francisco 3 insurance rates can get expensive, buying insurance is required in California but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your 3 with a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to have physical damage coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Mazda at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your Mazda and your assets. It also can pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your insurance policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car more than cancel out the cost, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays as much as $869 every year so shop around at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Frequent quotes can save
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
The cheapest Mazda 3 insurance in San Francisco is available on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not provide rate quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies work with independent insurance agents.
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, delays in paying claims, policy non-renewal and even delays in responding to claim requests. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies can be easier than you think.
Other learning opportunities
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Nurses in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Francisco Auto Insurance for 18 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Francisco Car Insurance for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Handicapped Drivers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)