Shockingly, most auto insurance customers kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for well over three years, and 38% of drivers have never compared rates from other carriers. Many drivers in California could cut their rates by about $469 a year, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rates.
The most effective way to save on auto insurance rates in San Francisco is to compare quotes once a year from insurers who sell insurance in California. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, careless driving and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for many different companies. View a list of agents
- Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and make a switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
One tip to remember is to try to compare identical coverages on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as you can. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
If you’re already insured or are looking for a new policy, you can use this information to save money without reducing protection. Locating the best rates in San Francisco is really quite easy. You just have to use the most efficient way to compare insurance rates instantly.
How to compare Lexus NX 300h insurance rate quotes in San Francisco
The companies shown below provide free quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get the most competitive price.
Auto insurance does more than just repair your car
Even though it can be expensive, auto insurance is required in California but it also protects you in many ways.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Lexus NX 300h, most lenders will require you to buy full coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your Lexus at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your vehicle and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying auto insurance definitely exceed the price paid, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Five discounts for lower-cost car insurance quotes
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there could be significant discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of purchase, but some discounts are required to be asked about before being credited.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Active Service Discounts – Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- College Student Discount – Youth drivers who are attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a course teaching safe driver skills can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
Remember that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for daytime running lights, seat belt use, anti-lock brakes, military active duty, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, and air bags.
- MetLife may offer discounts for accident-free, claim-free, multi-policy, good student, and good driver.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, accident-free, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and driver’s education.
- Progressive has savings for multi-policy, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for professional/association, ease of repair, low natural disaster claims, anti-theft, good student, accident-free, and good driver.
- 21st Century has discounts for 55 and older, anti-lock brakes, student driver, teen driver, and theft prevention.
- Allstate includes discounts for safe driver, good payer, defensive driver, EZ pay plan discount, utility vehicle, and good student.
When quoting, ask each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. All car insurance discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state. To see insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in San Francisco, click here.
Insurance agent or online?
A lot of people prefer to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Most agents can help you build your policy and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of comparing insurance online is you can get cheap insurance rates and still have a local agent.
After filling out this simple form, your insurance data is submitted to insurance agents in San Francisco who will give competitive quotes for your business. You never need to search for an agent because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an company is decision based upon more than just a low price. Get answers to these questions too.
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
When researching local San Francisco agents, there are a couple of different types of agencies from which to choose. Agents in San Francisco are classified as either independent or exclusive. Both can write policy coverage, but it’s good to learn the subtle differences because it can impact which type of agent you select.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents write business for a single company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training in insurance sales and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
The following are San Francisco exclusive agents that are able to give price quote information.
Independent agencies can quote rates with many companies so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies and find you the best rates. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company and you can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to compare prices from independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Below are independent agents in San Francisco who can help you get price quotes.
Car insurance coverages and their meanings
Understanding the coverages of car insurance can be of help when determining the right coverages for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and reading a policy is terribly boring. Below you’ll find the normal coverages available from car insurance companies.
This coverage covers damage to your NX 300h caused by collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle, crashing into a ditch, hitting a parking meter and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to increase the deductible on your NX 300h to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like falling objects, damage from a tornado or hurricane, damage from flooding, rock chips in glass and theft. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider dropping full coverage.
Medical expense coverage
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for bills such as ambulance fees, chiropractic care, doctor visits and hospital visits. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Liability insurance will cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of income and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why the minimum limit may not provide adequate coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Lexus NX 300h.
Because many people only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked.
You can lower your insurance rates
Some insurance companies do not provide the ability to get quotes online and these regional carriers only sell through independent agents. Budget-friendly insurance in San Francisco is attainable on the web and from local agencies, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
When getting San Francisco auto insurance quotes online, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
More detailed insurance information can be read by following these links:
- Side airbags reduce rollover fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for 17 Year Olds in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Active Military in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Uninsured Drivers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)