It’s well known that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Consumers who compare rates once a year will most likely move their business because of the good chance of finding a cheaper policy. A recent insurance study discovered that drivers who compared rate quotes regularly saved as much as $70 a month compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding discount rates on car insurance in San Francisco is your goal, knowing the best ways to find and compare coverages can help you be more efficient.
If you want to save money, the best way to find affordable quotes for auto insurance rates is to regularly compare prices from different companies who sell insurance in San Francisco.
- Take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that result in higher prices like accidents, traffic tickets, and an unfavorable credit rating can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Continue reading for more ideas to prevent rate hikes and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from many different companies.
- Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment along with a completed application for your new policy. As soon as you can, put the certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location.
The key thing to remember is that you use the same level of coverage on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a good representation of prices.
When shopping for inexpensive San Francisco auto insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare quotes from different companies. The best method to find the lowest rates is to use the internet to compare rates.
It’s so easy to compare rates online that it takes the place of having to make phone calls or go to and from local insurance agencies. The internet can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a need for the trained guidance that only an agent can give. It is possible with some companies price shop online and have a local agent actually service the policy. When comparing car insurance rates, know that getting more free quotes provides better odds of finding the best rates.
The car insurance companies shown below provide free rate quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Get cheaper Acura TLX insurance in San Francisco with discounts
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but companies offer discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Many discounts should be triggered at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Distant Student – College-age children who attend college more than 100 miles from San Francisco and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Active Military Service – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower auto insurance rates.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront as opposed to paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies provide a discount for buying a policy early. This can save 10% or more.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Employees or retirees of the government may reduce rates when you quote San Francisco auto insurance with certain companies.
- Good Student Discount – Being a good student could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. This discount can apply until age 25.
- 55 and Retired – Seniors may qualify for reduced rates.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more on TLX insurance in San Francisco.
Don’t be surprised that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
Some companies that may offer these discounts may include but are not limited to:
When getting a coverage quote, ask all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state.
Get More Affordable Insurance Premiums by Understanding These Factors
One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for insurance. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in lower rates. Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as traffic violations, but some are not quite as obvious like where you live or your financial responsibility.
The factors shown below are some of the major factors used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Drivers with excellent credit save – Having a bad credit history will be a significant factor in calculating your insurance rates. Drivers who have very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have poor credit scores. So if your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could save money insuring your Acura TLX if you improve your credit rating.
- Which gender costs less? – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Women and men tend to get into auto accidents at about the same rate, but men tend to have higher claims. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 are the most expensive to insure and thus pay the highest rates.
- Annual mileage impacts prices – Driving a lot of miles in a year the higher your rate. Most companies calculate rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks that do not get driven very much qualify for better rates than those used for commuting. Improper usage on your TLX is throwing money out the window. It’s always a good idea to double check that your insurance policy is showing the proper vehicle usage.
- Liability protection safeguards assets – Your policy’s liability coverage will protect you if ever you are responsible for physical damage or personal injury to other. This coverage provides you with a defense in court to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- Use but don’t abuse your insurance – If you frequently file small claims, you shouldn’t be surprised to get either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance companies in California provide lower rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- High premiums for younger drivers – Older drivers are more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and are generally more financially stable. Teenage drivers are proven to be more careless behind the wheel therefore insurance rates are much higher.
Claims statistics for an Acura TLX – Insurance companies use past insurance losses when setting premium costs. Vehicles that the data shows to have increased claim numbers or amounts will be charged more to insure.
The table below shows the loss history for Acura TLX vehicles. For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values over 100 point to more losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Acura TLX Vehicles Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Acura TLX 4dr 2WD 90 75 97 93 74 77 Acura TLX 4dr 4WD 120 75BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Local San Francisco auto insurance agents and car insurance
Some consumers would prefer to talk to a local agent and often times that is recommended One of the best bonuses of comparing car insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for neighborhood agents is definitely important in San Francisco.
By using this simple form, your coverage information is emailed to companies in San Francisco who can give free rate quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to contact any agents since price quotes are sent directly to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
If you would like to find a local San Francisco insurance agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Car insurance agencies are considered either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent do not write with just one company so they have the ability to put coverage through lots of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If your premiums go up, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, you need to compare quotes from at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in San Francisco that may be able to give you free price quotes.
Barulich Insurance Agency
San Francisco Pier 33 – Alcatraz Island #203 – San Francisco, CA 94111 – (415) 616-5911 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates and examples are Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in San Francisco willing to provide rate quotes.
Anita M Merrihew – State Farm Insurance Agent
3801 3rd St #585 – San Francisco, CA 94124 – (415) 285-2021 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- How long has their agency been in business in San Francisco?
- Is there a local claims center in San Francisco?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
More effort can pay off
Cheaper Acura TLX insurance in San Francisco is definitely available both online and also from your neighborhood San Francisco agents, so you need to shop San Francisco auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
You just learned some good ideas how you can find affordable Acura TLX insurance in San Francisco. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from the least-expected company. Regional companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford Escape in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Francisco Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for College Students in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)