It’s hard to fathom, but the vast majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for at least four years, and just under half have never shopped around. With the average premium in California being $1,387, drivers could cut their rates by roughly $500 a year, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to go online and compare rates.
To save the most money, the best way to get cheaper auto insurance rates in San Francisco is to regularly compare price quotes from providers who provide car insurance in California.
First, try to understand individual coverages and the modifications you can make to drop your rates. Many things that result in higher prices like careless driving and a negative credit history can be eliminated by paying attention to minor details. This article gives more information to help reduce prices and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates and buy the policy, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, tell your current agent or company of your intention to cancel the current policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment for the new coverage. As soon as you can, put the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
The most important part of this process is to make sure you enter similar coverage information on every quote and to quote with as many auto insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and many rates to choose from.
If you are already insured, you will definitely be able to buy cheaper auto insurance using these techniques. Buying the cheapest auto insurance in San Francisco can be made easier if you know where to look. But California vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of how companies market insurance on the web and use it to your advantage.
Honda Pilot Insurance Rate Factors
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the things that play a part in calculating your policy premiums. When you understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get big savings. Many things are used when quoting car insurance. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, but other criteria are less apparent like where you live and annual miles driven.
Proper usage rating affects prices – Driving a lot of miles in a year the more you will pay for car insurance. Most companies price each vehicle’s coverage partially by how you use the vehicle. Autos that sit idle most of the time get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Improper usage on your Pilot is throwing money out the window. Make sure your vehicle rating correctly shows the correct driver usage.
Protect yourself with liability protection – A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance will provide protection if ever you are determined to be liable for physical damage or personal injury to other. Liability provides legal defense coverage to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is pretty cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Raise your comp and collision deductibles for better prices – The deductibles you choose define the amount you are willing to pay if the claim is covered. Physical damage protection, also known as collision and other-than-collision, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of covered claims could be a windshield broken by a bird, hail damage, and having a roll-over accident. The more money you have to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
Lower prices with alarm systems – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Insurance loss data for a Honda Pilot – Car insurance companies use statistical claims data when they file their rates in each state. Models that are shown to have increased claim numbers or amounts will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The table below illustrates the insurance loss data used by companies for Honda Pilot vehicles. For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is represented as 100. Values that are below 100 suggest a positive loss record, while percentages above 100 point to more losses or tendency to have higher losses.
|Specific Honda Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Honda Pilot 4dr 2WD||70||96||69||82||82||86|
|Honda Pilot 4dr 4WD||79||105||81||88||74||82|
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
The majority of larger companies make it easy to get prices online. Getting online rates for Honda Pilot insurance in San Francisco is fairly simple as you just type in your coverage information as detailed in the form. When the form is submitted, their quoting system pulls credit information and your driving record and returns a price based on the information you submitted. Quoting online for Honda Pilot insurance in San Francisco makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it’s very important to do this if you are searching for cheap rates.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you complete the form with your coverages just like they are on your policy. Doing this guarantees you will get a rate comparison using the exact same coverages.
The companies shown below offer price quotes in San Francisco, CA. If the list has multiple companies, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get the cheapest price.
Rates and information analytics
The price information displayed below outlines different insurance policy prices for Honda Pilot models. Learning more about how auto insurance premiums are figured can be of help when making decisions when shopping your coverage around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Pilot LX 2WD||$328||$534||$574||$34||$172||$1,642||$137|
|Pilot EX 2WD||$370||$534||$574||$34||$172||$1,684||$140|
|Pilot EX 4WD||$370||$534||$574||$34||$172||$1,684||$140|
|Pilot EX-L 2WD||$370||$650||$574||$34||$172||$1,800||$150|
|Pilot EX-L 4WD||$370||$650||$574||$34||$172||$1,800||$150|
|Pilot Touring 2WD||$370||$650||$574||$34||$172||$1,800||$150|
|Pilot Touring 4WD||$370||$650||$574||$34||$172||$1,800||$150|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Premium amounts do not factor in zip code location which can raise or lower premium rates noticeably.
Premiums by gender and age
The example below illustrates the comparison of Honda Pilot car insurance rates for male and female drivers. The data is based on no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Do you need full coverage?
The diagram below compares Honda Pilot insurance rates when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The premiums are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no clear-cut formula of when to eliminate comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Honda Pilot claim settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $400 annually for full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where only buying liability is not a good plan. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Three reasons insurance is important
Even though San Francisco Pilot insurance rates can get expensive, buying insurance is required in California but also provides important benefits.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will require you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your Honda at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially when you need to use it. But the average driver in California is overpaying more than $810 a year so smart consumers compare quotes once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Discounts for cheap insurance quotes
Some insurers don’t always publicize all possible discounts very well, so the list below details both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Theft Deterrent – Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Organization Discounts – Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount when shopping for insurance.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having an actively deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can get you a discount due to better safety requirements for newer models.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one is not really a discount per se, but companies like GEICO, Allstate and Liberty Mutual will turn a blind eye to one accident before your rates go up so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Discount for Good Grades – Being a good student may save as much as 25% on a San Francisco auto insurance quote. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- No Claim Discounts – San Francisco drivers who stay claim-free have much lower rates when compared with drivers who are more careless.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Honda Pilot insurance prices with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The premiums are based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, homeowner, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Large insurance companies and a selection of discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm includes discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, passive restraint, safe vehicle, defensive driving training, multiple policy, and accident-free.
- GEICO may offer discounts for multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, federal employee, defensive driver, and daytime running lights.
- Progressive has savings for continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, multi-policy, online signing, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- 21st Century offers discounts for defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, driver training, early bird, and theft prevention.
- American Family may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, air bags, good driver, good student, accident-free, Steer into Savings, and mySafetyValet.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including air bag, anti-theft, defensive driver, good student, and driver training.
- AAA discounts include education and occupation, multi-policy, anti-theft, good driver, and AAA membership discount.
Double check with every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts may not apply to policies in your area. To see a list of companies with the best Honda Pilot insurance discounts in California, click here.
Compare rate quotes but buy from a local San Francisco insurance agent
Some consumers would rather buy from a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind An additional benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain lower premium rates and also buy local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your business. There is no need to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to you. It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to quote rates from one company in particular, you can always navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Finding a good insurance company should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent in San Francisco should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
Pick the best auto insurance agent in San Francisco for you
If you want to use a reliable insurance agency, there are two different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agents in San Francisco may be either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type normally can only provide a single company’s rates like Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company’s prices so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are well schooled on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agencies in San Francisco who can help you get price quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent do not write with just one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many different insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies and that require little work on your part. If you need cheaper insurance rates, we recommend you compare quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
The following are San Francisco independent agents that can give you comparison quotes.
Primeras Insurance Agency
3339 23rd St – San Francisco, CA 94108 – (415) 829-7312 – View Map
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When choosing adequate coverage, there is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your situation is unique and your car insurance should be unique as well.
For example, these questions might point out if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- What is GAP insurance?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Can good grades get a discount?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Car insurance savings summarized
We’ve covered some good ideas how to shop for Honda Pilot insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where someone sacrificed full coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Equinox in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Francisco Auto Insurance for 18 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teachers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 19 Year Olds in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Handicapped Drivers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Francisco Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)