Smart shoppers know that car insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. People who compare rates annually will, in all likelihood, buy a new policy because they have good chances of finding a policy with more affordable rates. Remarkably, a study showed that consumers who routinely compared rates saved on average $72 a month compared to drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the best rates on auto insurance in San Francisco is your ultimate target, knowing how to find companies and compare insurance premiums can help you be more efficient.
The best way to get cheaper Honda CR-V insurance in San Francisco is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies who sell insurance in California. This can be done by following these steps.
- First, spend some time learning about how companies set rates and the factors you can control to lower rates. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price like high-risk driving behaviors and poor credit can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article provides additional tips to help keep prices low and find overlooked discounts.
- Second, obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies. Find a San Francisco insurance agent
- Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
The most important part of this process is to use identical coverage information on every quote request and and to analyze as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Cheap car insurance in San Francisco, CA
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in San Francisco, CA. If multiple providers are shown, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Honda CR-V insurance rates and statistics
The coverage table displayed next covers estimates of insurance coverage prices for Honda CR-V models. Having a good grasp of how insurance rates are determined can be useful when making smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|CR-V LX 2WD||$188||$324||$360||$22||$108||$1,002||$84|
|CR-V EX 2WD||$188||$324||$360||$22||$108||$1,002||$84|
|CR-V LX 4WD||$188||$324||$360||$22||$108||$1,002||$84|
|CR-V EX 4WD||$216||$324||$360||$22||$108||$1,030||$86|
|CR-V EX-L 2WD||$216||$324||$360||$22||$108||$1,030||$86|
|CR-V EX-L 4WD||$216||$324||$360||$22||$108||$1,030||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can decrease or increase rates considerably.
The information below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can affect Honda CR-V insurance costs for each different age category. The data is based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Get lower-cost rates on Honda CR-V insurance in San Francisco with these discounts
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list their entire list of discounts very well, so below is a list both the well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in San Francisco can save you money because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Senior Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 may qualify for reduced rates.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some companies give discounts for switching to them prior to your current CR-V insurance policy expiring. You could save around 10% when you buy San Francisco auto insurance online.
- College Student – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from San Francisco and do not take a car to college may be able to be covered for less.
- Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure multiple cars or trucks with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save a little on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Student Discounts – Being a good student can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- No Accidents – Insureds with no claims or accidents can earn big discounts in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
Don’t be surprised that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think it’s possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
The chart below shows the comparison of Honda CR-V insurance prices with and without discounts applied to the premium. The costs are based on a female driver, no violations or claims, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, marriage, homeowner, and multi-car discounts applied.
Some of the insurance companies that possibly offer some of the above discounts may include but are not limited to:
When getting free San Francisco auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every prospective company to give you their best rates. Some discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere.
Insurance Premium Influencing Factors
Multiple criteria are used when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious like your driving record, but other criteria are not as apparent such as whether you are married and annual miles driven. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you know what positively or negatively positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make good choices that may result in cheaper rates.
The list below includes just a few of the factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
Insure your auto and home with one company – Lots of insurance companies afford lower prices to customers who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, you may still want to compare other company rates to ensure the best deal.There is a chance you can save even more by buying insurance from more than one company.
Impacts performance impacts auto insurance rates – The type of vehicle you own makes a significant difference in your premium level. The lowest performance passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
The chart below uses these variables: single male driver age 30, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It shows Honda CR-V car insurance rates compared to other makes and models that have a range of risk factors.
A good credit history can save money – Your credit rating can be a huge factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Insureds with very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than those with lower credit ratings. If your credit history is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your Honda CR-V if you clean up your credit.
Frequent auto insurance claims will cost you more – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims don’t be surprised to see higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Auto insurance companies in California give lower rates to insureds who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
Does car insurance cost less for gals? – Statistics have proven that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. It does not mean women are better drivers. Males and females cause auto accidents at about the same rate, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Young males have the highest risk to insure and therefore pay the highest rates.
The information below illustrates the comparison of Honda CR-V insurance prices for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Careless driving leads to higher rates – Your driving record has a big impact on rates. Attentive drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than their less careful counterparts. Even a single speeding ticket may cause rates to rise to the point where it’s not affordable. Drivers with dangerous tickets such as DUI or willful reckless driving are required to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
The diagram below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault collisions can raise Honda CR-V insurance rates for different age groups. The premiums are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $100 deductibles, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Teenage drivers pay high premiums – Older drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and get fewer tickets. Teen drivers are statistically proven to be less responsible when driving so auto insurance rates are higher.
The data below assumes a single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Liability coverage – Liability coverage will provide protection if you are determined to be liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. This coverage provides legal defense coverage which can cost a lot. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Insurance loss data for Honda CR-V vehicles – Insurance companies analyze the history of losses to calculate a price that offsets possible losses. Models that statistically have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will have a higher cost to insure. The next table illustrates the insurance loss data for Honda CR-V vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles combined as an average is equal to 100. Percentages below 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate more frequent claims or statistically larger losses.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Honda CR-V 4dr 2WD||68||81||58||93||86||77|
|Honda CR-V 4dr 4WD||69||82||69||90||87||78|
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Local San Francisco auto insurance agents
A small number of people would rather buy from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get the lowest rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local insurance agencies is important especially in San Francisco.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to find an agent on your own due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. You can find lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you want to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to visit that company’s website and submit a quote form there.
If you want to buy car insurance from a reliable agent, you should know the different agency structures and how they are distinctly different. Insurance agencies in San Francisco may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies do not sell for just one brand so they can write business with a variety of different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to do anything. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you will want to get some free quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from. Many can place coverage with small regional insurance companies who may have lower rates.
Listed below are independent insurance agencies in San Francisco that may be able to provide free price quotes.
- Scarborough Insurance Agency
329 Bryant St – San Francisco, CA 94107 – (415) 371-1398 – View Map
- Riskguard Insurance Solutions
422 Presidio Ave – San Francisco, CA 94115 – (415) 447-4212 – View Map
- Jessica Liu Insurance Services
3428 Balboa St – San Francisco, CA 94121 – (415) 386-2283 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel generally can only insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. They are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents. Some insured continue to use the same exclusive agent primarily because of the brand and solid financial strength.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in San Francisco willing to provide rate quotes.
- Rich Machado – State Farm Insurance Agent
5108 Geary Blvd – San Francisco, CA 94118 – (415) 292-3380 – View Map
- Wilson Chan – State Farm Insurance Agent
25 Division St #200 – San Francisco, CA 94103 – (415) 593-8802 – View Map
- Darlene Chow – State Farm Insurance Agent
206 Spear St – San Francisco, CA 94105 – (415) 441-1119 – View Map
Deciding on an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
Cheaper car insurance is out there
Some companies don’t offer online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents. More affordable car insurance in San Francisco can be purchased online and also from your neighborhood San Francisco agents, and you should compare rates from both so you have a total pricing picture.
We covered a lot of ways to get a better price on Honda CR-V insurance in San Francisco. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with a lesser-known regional company.
People leave their current company for a number of reasons such as unfair underwriting practices, high prices, lack of trust in their agent or even extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a great new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Additional information is located on the following sites:
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance Rates for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Dodge Grand Caravan in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Car Insurance for Safe Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable San Francisco Car Insurance for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Inexperienced Drivers in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest San Francisco Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Silverado? (FAQ)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Tools for Teen Driving Safety (State Farm)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)