It’s a fact that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Drivers who shop around annually will, in all likelihood, switch to a new company because there is a good probability of finding good coverage at a lower price. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who compared rate quotes regularly saved on average $72 a month compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the lowest price for auto insurance in San Francisco is your ultimate target, then having a grasp of how to compare cheaper coverage can save money and time.
The best way we recommend to get affordable car insurance rates in San Francisco is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurers in California.
First, try to comprehend how auto insurance works and the measures you can take to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates like speeding and poor credit rating can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Continue reading for instructions to help keep rates affordable and find hidden discounts.
Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple insurance companies.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing policy to determine if you can save on Grand Prix insurance. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Fourth, provide notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit payment and a completed application to the new company. As soon as coverage is bound, put the new certificate verifying coverage in your glove compartment.
An essential thing to point out is to make sure you’re comparing the same liability limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get price estimates from as many companies as possible. Doing this provides a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
The quickest method to get policy rate comparisons for Pontiac Grand Prix insurance in San Francisco is to know the trick car insurance companies provide online access to compare rate quotes. All you need to do is provide a little information like if you are currently licensed, marital status, if it has an alarm system, and how your vehicles are used. Your information is instantly provided to all major companies and you should receive rate quotes with very little delay.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide quotes in San Francisco, CA. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Three reasons to not skimp on insurance
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in San Francisco, buying insurance may be required for several reasons.
First, almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your Grand Prix, most lenders will have a requirement that you have full coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If the policy lapses, the lender may insure your Pontiac at a more expensive rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects your Pontiac and your assets. It will also pay for medical bills that are the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays as much as $820 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison every year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Companies offer many discounts on Pontiac Grand Prix insurance in San Francisco
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always advertise all possible discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for.
- Paperwork-free – A few larger online companies may give you up to $50 for completing your application on your computer.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates as compared to drivers with claims.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Successfully completing a safe driver course could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are much safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Distant Student Discount – Kids who live away from home to go to college and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but companies like GEICO and Allstate will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Even though it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Popular insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are included below.
- State Farm may include discounts for driver’s education, good driver, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, defensive driving training, and safe vehicle.
- American Family has savings for mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, early bird, Steer into Savings, air bags, good student, and good driver.
- GEICO includes discounts for military active duty, good student, defensive driver, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, and anti-theft.
- 21st Century offers discounts including good student, defensive driver, homeowners, air bags, student driver, automatic seat belts, and theft prevention.
- Progressive has discounts for continuous coverage, online signing, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and good student.
Before you buy a policy, ask every company which discounts you qualify for. Some credits might not apply everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies who offer cheap Pontiac Grand Prix insurance quotes in California, click this link.
You may need specialized insurance coverage
When choosing adequate coverage, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. Your situation is unique and your insurance should be unique as well.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if your situation may require specific advice.
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- When should I have rental car coverage?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Which companies are cheaper for teen drivers?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.