Unbelievably, most drivers have remained with the same insurance company for at least four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Drivers in California could pocket approximately 35% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they won’t spend time to compare rates online.
The best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates is to do an annual price comparison from insurance carriers in San Francisco. This can be done by following these guidelines.
- Try to learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the things you can change to lower rates. Many factors that cause high rates such as multiple speeding tickets and an unacceptable credit score can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and decide to switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Notify your current company of your intent to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment along with a signed application to the new insurer. Once received, put the proof of insurance paperwork in an accessible location in your vehicle.
The most important part of this process is to make sure you’re comparing similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to analyze as many different companies as possible. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a good representation of prices.
If you already have coverage, you should be able to buy cheaper insurance using the ideas covered in this article. Locating the best rates in San Francisco is not rocket science. But California consumers need to have an understanding of how the larger insurance companies determine how much to charge because rates fluctuate considerably.
Car insurance discounts are available for cheaper rates
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may qualify for discounts that you may not even know about. Certain credits will be shown when you complete an application, but some must be specifically requested prior to getting the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Drivers Education – Have your child participate in a local driver’s education class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but a few companies such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident without getting socked with a rate hike with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a specific time period.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can bundle your home and auto insurance and place coverage with the same company they may give you a discount of up to 20% and get you inexpensive Jaguar XK insurance in San Francisco.
- No Claims – San Francisco drivers who stay claim-free get the best car insurance rates as compared to drivers with a long claim history.
Discounts lower rates, but many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the appearance that you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will help reduce your overall bill.
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Jaguar XK auto insurance rates with and without policy discounts. Data assumes a male driver, no claims or driving citations, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, claim-free, safe-driver, and homeowner discounts applied.
Companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts can be found below.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, and good student.
- SAFECO includes discounts for homeowner, anti-theft, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, drive less, anti-lock brakes, and accident prevention training.
- American Family discounts include good student, early bird, good driver, mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, and TimeAway discount.
- MetLife offers discounts including good driver, multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free, good student, and defensive driver.
- GEICO may include discounts for federal employee, emergency military deployment, five-year accident-free, membership and employees, military active duty, seat belt use, and multi-policy.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for bundle, driver training, defensive driver, anti-theft, and air bag.
Check with every prospective company the best way to save money. Some credits may not apply in every state. If you would like to see a list of insurers with significant discounts in California, click this link.
Just remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps you find lower pricing. Some smaller insurers do not give San Francisco XK insurance quotes online, so it’s necessary to compare rates from them as well.
The companies in the list below can provide comparison quotes in San Francisco, CA. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Statistics and details
The premium table below outlines different insurance coverage prices for Jaguar XK models. Understanding how insurance prices are calculated can be of help when making informed coverage decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|XK Portfolio 2-Dr Coupe||$568||$1308||$386||$22||$116||$2,400||$200|
|XK 2-Dr Coupe||$568||$1308||$386||$22||$116||$2,400||$200|
|XK Portfolio 2-Dr Convertible||$614||$1194||$456||$26||$136||$2,426||$202|
|XK 2-Dr Convertible||$614||$1194||$456||$26||$136||$2,426||$202|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and claim-free. Table data does not factor in specific location information which can influence premiums significantly.
Irresponsible driving raises your rates
The diagram below shows how violations and at-fault claims can drive up Jaguar XK annual premium costs for different insured age categories. Data assumes a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The example below shows the comparison of Jaguar XK annual premium costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The premium estimates are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no definitive guideline to eliminate comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might consider buying liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Jaguar XK settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $6,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying over $600 a year for full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some conditions where eliminating full coverage is not a good idea. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Insurance Rate Influencing Factors
Multiple criteria are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but others are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married or your financial responsibility.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine your premiums.
- Single drivers may pay more – Getting married may save some money when shopping for auto insurance. Having a significant other is viewed as being more financially stable and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
Auto insurance rates and age – Older, more experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims, and are generally more financially stable. Teen drivers are known to get distracted easily behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
The data below uses these assumptions: single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Raising deductibles saves money – Your deductibles tell how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a claim is determined to be covered. Insurance for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are collision with another vehicle, damage from fire, and damage caused by road hazards. The more damage repair cost you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Higher rates for high stress employers – Careers like military generals, air traffic controllers, and financial analysts tend to have higher premiums than the average policyholder because of intense work requirements and lengthy work days. On the other hand, occupations like scientists, engineers and homemakers get better rates.
Jaguar XK claim probability – Companies analyze past claim statistics when they set coverage costs for each model. Models that the data determines to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will have increased rates. The table shown below demonstrates the collected loss data for Jaguar XK vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, is a value of 100. Numbers below 100 indicate better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 point to more frequent losses or tendency to have larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Jaguar XK Vehicles Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Jaguar XK 2dr 167 Jaguar XK Convertible 119BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Will just any policy work for me?
Always keep in mind that when comparing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- If I use my vehicle for business use is it covered?
- Is pet coverage available?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Who is covered by my policy?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form.
You may need advice from an insurance agent
Some consumers prefer to sit down with an agent and that is OK! The best thing about price shopping on the web is that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is still important in San Francisco.
Once you complete this simple form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your house since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. You’ll get the best rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific company, just navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
San Francisco auto insurance agents are either independent or exclusive
When searching for local San Francisco agents, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Agents in San Francisco are either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are appointed with more than one company so they can write business with an assortment of companies and potentially find a lower price. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, we highly recommend that you check rates from several independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Listed below is a small list of independent agents in San Francisco that can possibly get you price quote information.
Agents of this type can only place business with one company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are usually well trained on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
The following is a short list of exclusive agents in San Francisco willing to provide price quote information.
Cliff Young – State Farm Insurance Agent
1636 Irving St a – San Francisco, CA 94122 – (415) 665-5118 – View Map
Choosing the best insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. The following questions are important to ask.
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Does the company have a local claim office in San Francisco?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Which family members are covered?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
After getting satisfactory answers to these questions as well as a affordable price, chances are good that you have found a car insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly service your insurance policy.
Best reasons to buy insurance in California
Despite the high insurance cost for a Jaguar XK in San Francisco, buying insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
First, most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your Jaguar XK, most lenders will require you to carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Jaguar at a significantly higher premium and force you to reimburse them for it.
Third, insurance safeguards both your car and your personal assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If you have damage to your Jaguar as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the cost, especially when you need to use it. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $850 per year so we recommend shopping around at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
One last note
You just learned some good ideas how you can compare Jaguar XK insurance premium rates in San Francisco. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the best premium rates are with a small mutual company.
Cheaper Jaguar XK insurance in San Francisco can be found online and also from your neighborhood San Francisco agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies may not offer online quoting and many times these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost and still be able to protect your assets.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at these sites:
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a Ford Explorer in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)