Shocking but true, nearly 70% of California drivers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and nearly half have never even compared rates from other companies. U.S. consumers could save an average of nearly $859 each year just by shopping around, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to find cheap insurance by shopping around.
The preferred way to save on Dodge Magnum insurance is to do an annual price comparison from insurers in San Francisco.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of how insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like high-risk driving behaviors and a not-so-good credit history can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Give notification to your current company to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new insurance company. Make sure you place the new certificate of insurance with your vehicle’s registration.
The most important part of this process is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get prices from every insurance company. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
If you have insurance now or are shopping for new coverage, use these cost-cutting techniques to shop for the lowest rates and still get good coverage. Buying affordable auto insurance in San Francisco is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. Smart shoppers only need an understanding of the most efficient way to buy auto insurance on the web.
Finding a lower price on Dodge Magnum insurance is a great way to save money. All you need to do is take time comparing price quotes from some recommended companies.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to spend time driving to different San Francisco agent offices. Quoting Dodge Magnum insurance online eliminates this option unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional assistance only provided by licensed San Francisco agents. Although you can price shop online and still use a local agent.
The companies shown below can provide free quotes in San Francisco, CA. If several companies are displayed, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them to find the most competitive auto insurance rates.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of Dodge Magnum insurance, paying for car insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability in order to license the vehicle. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Dodge Magnum, most banks will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge for a lot more money and require you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Dodge gets damaged, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $810 a year so it’s important to compare rates at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Car insurance discounts help lower rates for Dodge Magnum insurance in San Francisco
Not too many consumers would say car insurance is affordable, but you may find discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Good Student – Maintaining excellent grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount up until you turn 25.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Low annual miles may enable drivers to earn substantially lower premium rates.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching to them early. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning a house in San Francisco may earn you a small savings because it means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in qualifying clubs or civic groups is a simple method to lower premiums on car insurance.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Onboard Data Collection – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to track vehicle usage by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive’s Snapshot may get a rate reduction as long as the data is positive.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles and place coverage with the same company you will save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business. But all discounts will definitely lower your overall premium however.
Insurance companies that have these money-saving discounts may include but are not limited to:
Check with each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere. To find insurance companies offering car insurance discounts in San Francisco, click here to view.
Local San Francisco auto insurance agents and insurance
A small number of people still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! Experienced insurance agents can help you build your policy and help you file claims. A good thing about comparing insurance online is the fact that you can find lower car insurance rates and also buy local. Buying from and supporting local agents is important especially in San Francisco.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is transmitted to companies in San Francisco that provide free San Francisco auto insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent to your email. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you can always navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
When narrowing the list to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s important to understand the different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agencies in San Francisco can either be exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the difference between them since it may influence buying decisions.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel do not have single company limitations and that allows them to write policies through lots of different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, you will want to include price quotes from a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in San Francisco who may be able to give you price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only provide pricing for a single company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot provide prices from multiple companies so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are well trained on their company’s products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in San Francisco that are able to give rate quotes.
Cliff Young – State Farm Insurance Agent
1636 Irving St a – San Francisco, CA 94122 – (415) 665-5118 – View Map
Picking an auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Some important questions to ask are:
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in San Francisco?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- What insurance companies do they work with in San Francisco?
Specifics of your car insurance policy
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can help you determine the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are the usual coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Coverage for medical expenses
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for bills such as EMT expenses, chiropractic care and rehabilitation expenses. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Auto liability insurance
Liability insurance will cover damage that occurs to other people or property by causing an accident. It protects YOU from claims by other people. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You might see limits of 15/30/5 which means a $15,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers claims like pain and suffering, medical expenses, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying higher limits if possible. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
The illustration below shows why the minimum limit may not provide you with enough coverage.
Comprehensive car insurance
This coverage pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as a broken windshield, fire damage, falling objects and theft. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Coverage for collisions
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as damaging your car on a curb, backing into a parked car and sideswiping another vehicle. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Magnum to get cheaper collision coverage.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection when other motorists either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many California drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/5 in California), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Frequently these limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Cover all your bases
Some insurance companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent insurance agencies. The cheapest Dodge Magnum insurance in San Francisco is possible from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
We just covered a lot of information how to shop for Dodge Magnum insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest priced insurance comes from a small mutual company. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower prices than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
More tips and info about insurance can be read in the articles below:
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Nurses in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with Accidents in San Francisco? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap San Francisco Auto Insurance Quotes for a School Permit? (FAQ)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)